BUD 630 Buddha Nature: Luminous Heart of the TathĀgata
— Currently Unavailable
Self-paced Online Course
Originally Offered Spring 2012 in Boulder, CO
This course is an overview of the Tathāgatagarbha, or Buddha Nature tradition, the view of the luminous essence of awakening, the heart of goodness shared by all beings. Our exploration will rely on the key section of Uttaratantra of Maitreya (ca. 4th century) which establishes Buddha nature through three reasonings, its ten facets, nine analogies and five reasons why it is necessary to teach it.
Course code: BUD 630
Prerequisite: BUD 620
Instructor: Jirka Hladiš
At your convenience!
- The element: three reasons the element is present in all sentient beings
- Ten aspects of the element
- Nine examples explaining why the defilements are to be purified though the essence is unchanging
- Five reasons why it is necessary to explain the element
- Buddha Nature: The Mahayana Uttaratantra Shastra with Commentary, by Jamgön Kongtrül Lodrö Thaye, tr. by Rosemarie Fuchs, Snow Lion Publications, 2000:
- Commentary on the Fourth Vajra Point in the Mahayana Uttaratantra Shastra by Acharya Lama Tenpa Gyaltsen, Nitartha Institute Publications: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are responsible for purchasing your course texts. For texts from Nitartha Institute Publications, please email Tashi at email@example.com and allow 3 weeks for delivery of texts in North America. For overseas shipping, please allow 2–3 weeks for airmail and 4–6 weeks for surface shipping.
The class is part of our online campus and is available as streaming video, as well as downloadable audio. There are also posted study questions, recommended readings, exam questions and the ability to contact a distance learning advisor with questions.
You will receive an email providing information about accessing the online course within a week of registering.
$192, plus a non-refundable $3 transaction fee
For questions about this course, contact Fitri Junoes, our Online Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.