BUD 704.1 Chatuhshataka: The Four Hundred Verses on the Yogic Conduct of a Bodhisattva, Part 1 of 2
January 25 – May 9, 2012
Online/INCLASS Semester Program - Boulder, CO
This course is a study of Chatuhshataka by Āryadeva (ca. 2th century) – a direct student of Nāgārjuna. This influential madhyamaka treatise is renowned for balancing the presentation of the seeming and ultimate realities, emphasizing both the view and meditation. We will approach this treatise through the lens of its Tibetan commentators.
Course code: BUD 704.1i-A
Prerequisite: BUD 703 for Advanced Nitartha students.
Students who want to take Advanced courses for credit must have completed the stated prerequisite (or an equivalent advanced Shedra course) or be a senior translator.
Audit Students: Those who are sincerely interested in attending the course, but who have not met the prerequisites, are invited to audit the course as listeners but not as verbal participants.
Instructor: Acharya Lama Tenpa Gyaltsen
14 Wednesdays, 7–8:30 pm:
Jan. 25 – Feb. 29 &
March 14 – March 21 &
April 4 – May 9
- Relinquishing the wrong views regarding things as permanent, pleasant, pure and self
- Bodhisattva's practice
- Relinquishment of afflictions
- Relinquishment of attachment to the enjoyment of sensory objects
- Practice of discipline
- Negation of permanent entities, of self, of time, of views, of sense faculties and their objects, of extremes of existence, nonexistence, etc., as well as of oneness and difference, and of conditioned phenomena
- Cultivation of certainty for the master and the disciple
- TBA (PDFs will be made available after you register)
Methods of Instruction
Weekly classes in a classroom setting taught by Acharya Lama Tenpa Gyaltsen (ALTG) will be translated into English and simultaneously broadcast online in streaming video to students worldwide. The real-time presentations will be accompanied by question and answer periods. Inclass and online students are invited to participate.
The class will also have an asynchronous online component with posted study questions, lecture notes, archived recordings of the lectures, and a discussion forum.
Odantapuri, Nalandabodhi Boulder
100 Arapahoe Ave, #6
Boulder, CO 80302
Advanced Students: $460, plus a non-refundable $3 transaction fee
Audit Students: $250, plus a non-refundable $3 transaction fee
For questions about this course, contact Lisa Kennedy, our Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.